Like the booksnaps using Bitmoji, this is something you can spend all of your time getting “just right”. Ironically one of Serena Waldron’s comments on her green screen post was lighting and I will echo that sentiment. My backgrounds could have been cleaner had I been in a better (more even, less shadowed) light because the transparency button using LunaPic could have cut out more background if I hadn’t had a shadow. Therefore, I spent more time with the mini eraser cutting in and around myself. I used inspiration from Waldron and the MissGeekChic post within the Cool Tools module because a) I didn’t want to pay for an app to play around just yet, b) I didn’t know what tech I would end up using.
- Green plastic tablecloth from the store
- My basement bedroom with a green tablecloth taped up
- My iPhone
- My eight year old who took the still pictures of me in front of the green screen
- My computer to upload my pictures, use LunaPic to edit and save
- Book images that I am not in short supply of already saved on my computer and one from LunaPic because I was playing around with their animation
Here was my attempts: first on the top left was using the background animation on the editing site (you can see how horrible the transparency and my patience was), then bottom left was the second one with a bit better erasure and a book image. Then the final was my playing around with my transparency over the book image of one of the books written by our visiting author in April.
Overall, it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be ONCE I got my tools in place and time to dedicate (thank you Mother Nature) to it. I can absolutely see using these as a way to recommend books and be recognizable (we are a big school so while I would assume many students recognize my face, many might not and therefore be more approachable if they knew who I was), use for sharing information in a new tech-forward way, and dare I say, attempt again using video with an imposed background. Perhaps for another day when my own kids aren’t running around the house. I’d need a bit more quiet for that and obviously in a classroom setting, the same would be needed such as a recording studio and/or second space for this purpose. With that said, having a ready made and not easily-collapsible space in the library or classroom to use on a regular basis would be key. I know our media arts classes in the building across the street for our school has a green screen, so it is already easily accessible for that course, but not for the every student in order to spice up a presentation, recommend a book, etc.
I’ll say there is a bit of a learning curve, as there is with many of these more complex tools that needs patience and perseverance. It took me a bit to understand the vocabulary of the editing tool (as each editing tool will be different). It seemed like with LunarPic that it was harder to understand what I could and couldn’t undo, to remember to “apply” changes because “I thought I did that already” came around a few too many times in the beginning, and understanding photo editing when I have some working knowledge but nothing more than modest. An art teacher collaboration seems like the first step, then once comfortable adding other teachers. Hey, my snowfall (apropos for today) could be a weather unit in science. An “about me” image to share with the class could include a few of their favorite items in the background image. The possibilities are endless!
I’m giving myself a round of applause on attempting something that seemed daunting and actually getting some neat final products…. now on to finding a space to dedicate in our library somewhere and my first teacher/student victims… I mean, collaboration.